Re: CSS color palettes

I hear you, Damian.

A "maroon" and color00 are not semantic. .

I prefer not "maroon", but instead "header-border-color". That way, you know
what it's applied to.

What you've done is added an extra layer of abstraction. e.g. "here is my
color palette, not saying what it will be used for, color00 is def'd with a
value (#800) and a name ("maroon").

You have to maintain the keyword name and the hex value in parallel, and
this is not good.

Instead, you can just define colors separately. It is annoying, but makes
skinning more modular. All you have to do is change the CSS file and you're
done.\

This approach is cumbersome, but actually works farily well:

.header-border-color, form-border-color {
    border-color: #800;
}

.header-background-color {
    background-color:
}

The important thing is to be semantic because otherwise, you get confused. I
once worked on a project where everything was like ".c4-bk { color: #7898f9;
}" I'm sure it made sense to the guy who wrote it. That was annoying....

Garrett

--
http://dhtmlkitchen.com/