Re: [css21][css3-values] <uri> and status codes

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 00:23:57 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > This seems to be an issue with HTTP, not CSS. What would you want CSS to
> > say, exactly? We can't require a particular UI or anything...
>
> I want it to say whether or not the image (if any) should be used.

You're asking whether, when the server has reported that it doesn't have
the resource that the user agent asked for, the user agent should render
the resource? Isn't the whole point that the user doesn't have the
resource? Or are you asking whether, when a server has told the UA that
the resource is unavailable, the UA should render the resource being used
to report the lack of a resource, as the resource?