Re: CSS Selectors: How to style non-styleable?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Orion Adrian" <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: CSS Selectors: How to style non-styleable?

> On 3/10/06, Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
>>
>> There are situations when we need to define styles
>> of sub-elements of some DOM element.
>> Such sub-elements are not parts of the DOM so exsting selectors
>> cannot be applicable to them.
>>
>> Examples:
>> - style of scrollbars of some element and their parts.
>> - parts of <select> element: buttons, popups, etc.
>
> It's probably a bad idea to try to style elements that you can't
> assume are there. Remember, this whole thing is supposed to be
> cross-platform, so trying to style buttons and other interaction
> elements defined by the OS is a good way to say <bleep> you to
> everyone using a platform you didn't design for.
>
> Also I'm not sure it's such a good idea to be manipulating the default
> styles of interaction elements (or at least allowing it for the public
> at large). Interaction elements are those things that you need to
> assure are accessible at all times. Otherwise a bad implementation or
> a bad set of CSS could really mess up the user's ability to function
> with the browser.
>
> Orion Adrian

As a real life example and reason (one of) of my original posting:

1) I have a partner company designing software for people with disabilities.
They would like to be able to change shapes (look and feel) of standard
input
elements for different target groups of their customers. They must have such
opportunity. Dot.

2) Go to http://telerik.com/Default.aspx?PageId=1742  (or something similar)
and take a look on their input widgets. People are buying this not because
they have money to spare but because they have strong demand for this.

In general discussion of nature of such demand is a bit out of scope, IMO.
Let's assume that it is a reality.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com