Re: overflow:scroll and tables

Thanks, Adam,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Kuehn" <akuehn@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: overflow:scroll and tables

| Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
|
| >Does anybody know any technical or formal reason of why
| >following does not work in any (known to me) UA:

| One technical reason is that the overflow property does not apply to
| tables.  It should be ignored in the scenario you outline.  Another
| technical reason is that the 'auto' value of the overflow property is
| explicitly UA-dependent.  See
| <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#overflow>.

This is actually my question:
"One technical reason is that the overflow property does not apply to
tables." - why? What is this reason?

| However, the real reason appears to be that UAs (well, OK, Firefox -
| I didn't take the time to conduct universal testing) ignore all
| overflow values on any display: table* objects, even table cells, to
| which the property is supposed to apply.  The overflow property works
| as advertised if the display value is changed to block.

Yep, this is why I am asking. Seems like there are no formal reasons
why <table> or <td> should not be scrollable but seems like
UA vendors reached some silent agreement in this area. So is the question.

Andrew Fedoniouk
http://terrainformatica.com