Re: [CSS 3 counters] Dealing with <ol start=""> and <li value=""> ?

On Thursday 2006-06-29 07:09 -0400, dolphinling wrote:
> The WHAT WG's WA1 draft brings back the start attribute on ordered lists
> and introduces a value attribute on individual list items, and semantic
> grouping of lists (saying two <ol></ol>s are in fact one list) is being
> discussed. Unless I missed something in my (admittedly quick) reading,
> the Counters section in both CSS 2.1 and CSS 3 seems insufficient to
> deal with this.
>
> I don't actually have any thoughts on how to solve it, but just wanted
> to make sure it didn't get lost in the void.

Using a bit of pseudo-syntax with my attr() usage, I would think
something like the following would be sufficient:

ol::before, ul::before {
  content: "" /* or a new value that's better */;
  counter-reset: list-item;
}

ol[start]::before {
  conter-reset: list-item attr(start);
}

li {
  counter-increment: list-item;
}

li[value] {
  counter-reset: list-item attr(value);
}

(Plus appropriate rules for li::marker as described in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-lists-20021107/#list-content1 .)

How is this insufficient?

-David