Re: [css21] 4.2 Rules for handling parsing errors, question

Thanks, David,

----- Original Message -----
From: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Subject: Re: [css21] 4.2 Rules for handling parsing errors, question

>>On Thursday 2006-06-08 12:10 -0700, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>> Chapter http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#parsing-errors
>> is silent about CSS selectors parsing errors.
>
>But http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q10 is not.

<quote>
The selector (see also the section on selectors) consists of everything up to
(but not including) the first left curly brace ({). A selector always goes
together with a {}-block. When a user agent can't parse the selector (i.e., it
is not valid CSS 2.1), it must ignore the {}-block as well.
CSS 2.1 gives a special meaning to the comma (,) in selectors. However, since it
is not known if the comma may acquire other meanings in future updates of CSS,
the whole statement should be ignored if there is an error anywhere in the
selector, even though the rest of the selector may look reasonable in CSS 2.1.

</quote>

In my understanding there are two selectors here:

A , B { ... }

Am I right?

And I don't quite understand paragraph starting from "CSS 2.1 gives a special
meaning to the ...."
Comma is here already (selector list separator)  so what "other meanings in
future..." shall mean?

>> Question: a) shall second one be considered as valid one and block following
>> be
>> used -or-
>> b) parser shall skip the whole fragment up to the end of the block?

>Based on the above, (b).

So skip it as the whole (including block ), right?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com