Re: [Selectors], XSLT, and a browser's internal view of an xml document

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:13:11 +0100, Noah Scales <noahjscales@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Mozilla allows XSLT to create an internal view (If I
> understand the STTS 3 meaning of "internal view") of
> an arbitrary source XML document styled with CSS.

Actually, XSLT changes the DOM and therefore the semantics of the
document... From what I understand of STTS it would not do such a thing.

> You can't style arbitrary XML without CSS + CSS
> Selectors, unless you use the CSS namespace, or you
> think XHTML is arbitrary XML(like I do). Or the CSS
> working group decides on (a limited form of) XPATH as
> their selector language.

What CSS namespace, exactly? Or is this just some theoretical concept?
(CSS declarations can appear inside style="" attribute constructs. Such a
style="" attribute is available in various markup languages, including
XHTML and SVG.)

> Still, if the CSS working group decides to keep
> developing a selector language that is
> performance-critical, then how about an XML version of
> CSS Selectors that's performance- critical right now?
> Can you describe what it does and doesn't do? Your
> answer about matching an element to selectors instead
> of a selector to elements is a bit vague. Can you give
> it some context? You could help me use XSLT in a way
> that operates more efficiently with major browsers.

How exactly would an XML version of Selectors be different from the
current Selectors draft? There is at least one XBL proposal (as pointed
out previously) that uses Selectors to select elements in an XML tree. No
modifications necessary.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>