Re: Request for comments: :first-letter in non-Latin scripts

Richard Ishida wrote:

>The W3C i18n Working Group would like to gather information about the usefulness, in general, of the ::first-letter pseudo-element in non-Latin scripts, and any particular issues or differences arising from the different characteristics of the scripts. We would like to hear from you if you have some knowledge/thoughts in this area.
>
>Please read the questions at
>
>http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/?p=40
>

>and send your comments to www-international @ w3.org
>Archive: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/
>
>Thank you.

Hi Richard,

I tested  LamAlif letter (Lam+Alif) as a "first letter" with mozilla 1.7
(http://www.w3c.org.ma/Tests/InitLigature.html). Only the very first
letter LAM is styled. I was expecting that (nomally) LamAlif as a
ligature would be considered as first letter.

I am not expert in writing/printing systems. I'll ask some experts
around here to know more about that.

--
Najib TOUNSI (mailto:tounsi @ w3.org)
Bureau W3C au Maroc (http://www.w3c.org.ma/)