Re: I18n comment: xml and namespaces version

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:02:25 +0900, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:

> On Tuesday 2006-01-24 14:19 +0900, Felix Sasaki wrote:
>> Example for XHTML:
>> <?xml version="1.0" ...?>
>> <head> ...
>> <!--
>> @namespace foo url(XXX);
>>  foo|h1 { color: blue }
>> /* ... ... */
>> -->
>> </head>...
>> This is an error if "XXX" contains characters which are not part of the
>> NCName production in XML 1.0.
>
> I don't see why you're referring to NCName here -- that's used for
> attribute names in XML, not attribute values.

sorry, the XXX should have been like this:
@namespace XXX url(YYY);
and YYY should be http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names11/#dt-IRI

> But even if you did do something that was an error in XML but not an
> error in CSS, you'd just end up with the result that nothing would be
> matched since no document could have that namespace (or whatever).  I
> don't see why that's a problem -- it's completely interoperable behavior.

People who want to use IRIs for namespaces and XML 1.1. for NCName should
be warned that such non matches can occur.