Re: [BULK] - Re: [XHTML2] Spirit of "1.1.3. XHTML 2 and Presentation" (PR#7759)

Paul Mitchell wrote:
>> It's important that we figure out exactly what these elements should
>> contain (possibly XML?) and then choose the most appropriate names.
>
> The trouble is that there are hundreds of eqally appropriate names.
> Sorry to get biblical on you, but one always finds the answers to
> seemingly impossible problems in the bible.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#NT-Name
>
> XML, being a UNICODE protocol, allows element names to be in any human
> language. For any element name to have a truly "generic" meaning, it
> should have transliterative synonyms in the *same namespace* for
> non-English users at least, and literal synonyms for all language
> users. More people may speak English than any other language, but more
> people speak all other languages than speak any one, and English isn't
> a single language anyway, so a universal XML naming scheme must
> accomodate that, otherwise it goes against the 6th "XML documents
> should be human-legible and reasonably clear", 9th "XML documents
> shall be easy to create" and 10th "Terseness in XML markup is of
> minimal importance." commandments.
I don't think "presentation" and "behavior" are any worse than "lang" or
"base". The default XML elements, attributes, processing instructions,
etc. are based on English (e.g. <?xml-stylesheet?>), and I see no
problem keeping it that way. I say we find the best *English* name for
the element types.

Cheers,
Daniel