Re: [BULK] - Re: [XHTML2] Spirit of "1.1.3. XHTML 2 and Presentation" (PR#7759)

Paul Mitchell schreef:
> What do you mean by "the" XML namespace? I did propose injecting <style>
> and <script> into it, but that is only part of my evil master-plan to
> have XHTML declared "the" XML namespace, if not "of default" then at
> least "of last resort". I'm sure you must mean something else, because
> no-one likes my plan. :)

All elements and attributes starting with ‘xml’ are reserved for generic
XML constructs (consequently, you can’t or at least shouldn’t create an
element called e.g. <XmlData>). XML Namespaces, which itself uses
xmlns:-prefixed attributes that are also in the XML namespace, defines
this further that all elements starting with xml: have a fixed namespace
which does not have to be declared explicitly.

Thus, the ‘xml:’ prefix is referred to as ‘the XML namespace’. Adding
attributes to that has the advantage that it applies to all XML
documents, is part of the base standard, and that the namespace doesn’t
have to be declared.

Examples are the ‘xml:lang’, ‘xml:base’, ‘xml:id’ and ‘xmlns’
attributes. However, for something to be added to the XML namespace, it
must be very generic and apply to almost all or at least a lot of
documents. Like, most document types have IDs, most XML files are
language-dependant, and all documents can be given a different base URI.

~Grauw