Re: CSS3 draft: multiple backgrounds concerns

Charlie Hayes schreef:

> I looked into border images when I was experimenting but decided it
> wouldn't work for what I wanted.
>
> I thought I would give it a try so I downloaded the latest nightly and
> tried it. It works pretty well except that I want the contents of the
> box to be on top of the border. Since negative padding isn't an
> option, I can't think of a way to get it to look like what I want
> without adding another property, which would most likely break the box
> model.

Yeah, that’s indeed an architectural problem with border-image. If you
want a rounded corner with a radius of 15x15 pixels, the borders have to
be 15 pixels, while in practice for text to stay inside it only really
needs a border of 5 pixels, due to its shape.

I think CSS should fix this, somehow. It seems to me that the prime use
case for multiple backgrounds functionality to exist is to use it for
border images, because the border-image functionality is flawed, but
using multiple backgrounds for borders is also flawed (as Charlie
described).

Maybe it’s useful to look at border-radius, which takes the border
width, and lets any additional spacing that is needed because of the
rounded corner be solved by means of padding. A similar concept could be
applied to border-images.

If border-image would be extended to fix this (e.g. have a different
size be specified for the border images than for the border width, or
allow negative paddings), I’d say multiple backgrounds functionality
could be removed, as it loses much of its appeal.

~Grauw