Re: Question about linking CSS to XML vocabularies

David,

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 20:10, David Woolley wrote:
> > should be included as well.  This would also serve to separate
> > presentation-only attributes from any other attributes within the
> > vocabulary, which I think would be a good thing.
>
> id and class should not be used to encode presentation.  They
> should be used to encode semantics and the style sheet should then
> specify appropriate stylings for those semantics.  In particular
> class="red" is a misuse of the class attribute in nearly every case.

That is certainly not what I had in mind with my statement.  What I was
saying was that I thought attributes that could be used for styling
across XML vocabularies with the same semantics would be a good idea,
and that, potentially, it would allow CSS support to understand them in
the same way that it understands their use currently with XHTML.

Perhaps my language wasn't specific enough, but in the case I had in
mind, these attributes would be applied for styling purposes orthogonal
to any particular vocabulary that was being styled.

Besides, I thought mauve had more RAM, not red. :)

ast
--
Andrew S. Townley <ast@atownley.org>
http://atownley.org