Re: Selector for parent/predecessor?

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> And worse,
> without exception, their producers spend most of their time trying to
> explain why they *don't* have security features, or tabbed browsing,
> or proper XHTML support, or decent CSS selectors...the list goes on.

Hardly fair, several participants on this list have implemented
several/many (not checked exact number) CSS3 selectors - which aren't
even in an approved spec yet. They do this (I assume) to test the
proposals, and to ease implementation later. Performance issues are real
and worth factoring in.

Your comments apply to one browser only, and even that has started
moving now. At home I quite often have 3 different browsers open, there
are features in each that I like.

> The reality, which people can choose to ignore if they like, is that
> all of the innovation is taking place amongst programmers who are
> working around the limitations of browsers! Look at Dojo...look at
> script.aculo.us...YUI...Google's Java to Ajax mapping...all of these
> innovations are coming about because browsers are years out of date,
> and don't provide the features that authors need.

But they only work at all because browsers have (mostly) working DOM
scripting implementations. Improving that environment in a way that
doesn't break previous sites/frameworks is *hard*, especially for IE.
It's going to be a long process, which isn't helped by scope creep.

Kind regards,

-Alastair