Re: Selector for parent/predecessor?

A parent selector is also extremely difficult to implement,
especially dynamic cases.

Any selector that cannot be determined correctly during an
incremental load of a document is evil, since you end up possibly
having to display incorrect results while loading before the true
style of the element can be accurately determined.  This includes
selectors like :last-child for example.  It's just terrible to have
any selectors in the language that can be wrong during a forward
parse of the document.

Far and away the most efficient way to style elements is with simple
efficient selectors like class, tag and ID.  All the extra selectors
do (especially most of the useless ones from CSS3) is provide authors
with more rope to hang themselves with.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)