Re: CSS Borders

Lorenzo De Tomasi wrote:
> I think that the correct mailing list for this thread is
> www-style@w3.org (in Cc:)
>
> What about creating an attribute for border position?
> It's typical in professional Dtp software like Adobe InDesign, Illustrator ecc.
> ie:
> * border-outside
> * border-middle
> * border-inside
>
> If you have a box 100*100pt with a 2pt border, using:
> * border-outside, the border wil be rendered outside the box, which
> becomes 104*104pt. In the intermittent border styles, through the gaps
> you see the background color of the <body>.
> * border-inside, the border wil be rendered inside the box, which
> mantains its original dimensions (100*100pt ). In the intermittent
> border styles, through the gaps you see the background color of the
> box.
> * border-middle, the border wil be rendered centered on each side of
> the box, which becomes 101*101pt. In the intermittent border styles,
> through the gaps you see both the background color of the <body> (1pt)
>  and the background color of the box (1pt).
>
> You could also sum border-inside and border-outside attributes,
> creating 2 color borders.
>
> What do you think?

   There's an ::outside(n) pseudo-element in the CSS3 Generated and
Replaced Content Module[1] that allows you to specify properties of an
outer elements that doesn't actually exist in markup. Using this, you
could create borders outside of borders and even use padding and margin
for spacing and positioning. I would think that this would allow you to
create the kind of borders you're talking about.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-content-20030514/#wrapping