Re: Downloadable fonts and image replacement

Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> > Images are irrelevant : text is text, images are images, and the
> > latter should never be used as a substitute for the former.
>
>I don't agree with that. Consider this design from the zen garden:
>
>  http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=176/176.css
>
>The page is beautiful, funny, and it mixes images and text. And, it's
>pretty accessible.

I couldn't disagree more. Leaving the obvious difference between your
and my sense of esthetics aside, the "bitmap font" is difficult to read
on my home 85PPI laptop screen. The images of text are completely
unreadable on my 140PPI work laptop screen, now imagine screens of
300PPI that are currently in the pipe line. Same goes for visually
impaired users who need a considerably bigger than average font size.

Various "text" such as the headlines simply disappears when I disable
images and leave CSS enabled.

Needless to say that zooming the font size in browsers like IE and Gecko
based browsers does nothing to make the bitmaps of text bigger. Same for
setting a larger minimum font size in Opera.

Using Opera's page zoom makes some images of text even worse:
http://homepage.ntlworld.ie/spartanicus/font1.png

For this page to become accessible I need to disable CSS, with CSS
enabled it's an unmitigated disaster.

--
Spartanicus

(email whitelist in use, non list-server mail will not be seen)