Re: Downloadable fonts and image replacement

Håkon Wium Lie schreef:
> Zip does two things here. First, it bundles a set of TTF files
> together (often along with a README of some sorts). This is a good
> thing as one font family typically consists of four different files.
> Second, it applies compression.
>
> By using HTTP-level compression, you replace one part of zip -- how
> would you replace the other?

Yes, right, that makes sense. I suppose browsers adding ZIP or TAR as
supported compression methods in HTTP wouldn’t really work? :)

But why are they distributed as separate files anyway? Is there some
technical limitation that prevents them from being combined into one big
font file? Could a tool be used to combine separate fonts? Why not just
add the fonts as fallbacks for eachother (so what if there are four
instead of one file requests)?

~Grauw