Re: Downloadable fonts and image replacement

Håkon Wium Lie schreef:
> Yes, this could work. UAs should also be able to handle this:
>
>   font-family: "TSCu_Comic", url(TSCu_Comic.zip), sans-serif;
>
> That is, zip files should be uncompressed in the client.

Not through HTTP? I don’t know much about the details of gzip, but
wouldn’t simply sending an Content-Encoding: gzip header with the file
suffice?

After all, isn’t this functionality that should be available more
generically, and nog just in CSS fonts, or CSS? Besides, we already
*have* the gzip (and deflate) support. If zip is too different from
gzip, then the easy solution that will work *today* is compressing it
with gzip or deflate instead. Depending on your server, it can easily be
configured to do this automatically for all files, not just fonts.

Let’s not make up some arbitrary new mechanism here while we already
have one that is well-designed and supported broadly.

~Grauw