Re: Downloadable fonts and image replacement

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:11:51 -0700, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Octavio Alvarez Piza wrote:
>
>> I prefer font servers though, because of downloading of ALL glyphs,
>> instead of the ones just needed.
>
> How are font servers supposed to work across the Web?
>
> My computer might know about a font server, but it probably won't have
> the fonts used on your web site, especially fonts that have been
> developed specially for that site. To get around that, the web page
> could specify the URI for a font server.

No, the font would be just like any other resource, even cached, so
MUAs only downloads what it needs.

If the site wants to have fonts available the same site should
bring a font server up.

> The next question is
> what glyphs to ask the font server for, as the whole font may be
> too large.

MUAs can also examine the documents to check what glyphs are used
and auto-determine the range.

--
Ing. Octavio Alvarez Piza