Re: [CSS 2.1] Proposed Rewording for Cascading Rules

On Friday 2005-11-18 15:33 -0500, Adam Kuehn wrote:
> Currently, implementations differ on how to treat the interaction of
> style attributes and !important style declarations in style
> sheets.  IE/Win and KHTML give precedence to the !important
> declarations, while Gecko, Opera, and IE/Mac favor the
> attribute.

The interaction of !important with style attributes is tested in
  http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS1/current/test31.htm
(the third test).

All of the browsers you mention pass that test, as the spec currently
requires.

Do you have a testcase demonstrating a difference in implementations?
(I also tried the example in your message in Gecko, and it was also
correct; the opposite of what you said.)

> The section of the spec dealing with this issue is ambiguous,

I agree that
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CSS21-20050613/cascade.html#cascading-order
is a bit unclear, but I don't think it needs to be nearly as verbose as
you propose.

-David