Re: Java style layout managers for CSS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Raymond" <mattraymond@earthlink.net>

>> flow:h-flow
>>    - this is close to Java's FlowLayout [1],
>>      blocks layouted horizontally until space
>>      allows consequently forming rows;
>
>   Couldn't you just style the child elements "display: inline-block"?

"Me thinks" that you are not reading the message in the whole :)

As I mentioned :

"Main differences of horizontal flows from
existing methods like display:inline-block or
float: left are:

1) margin collapsing between blocks works
     in both directions - vertical and horizontal.
     ( On screenshot above each child block
        has margin:20px set)
2) all blocks in row having height:auto
     (or 100%% in my case) are getting the
    same final (computed) height. "

Please "think through" both statements above.

>  It also sounds like you can simulate the latter with "display:
> table-cell" and some creative selectors...

No way. Maximum what you can get with table related
attributes is 'border-spacing' but this apply to the whole
assembly of contained elements as single value and
it is same for both directions, sic.

One more illustration:

<select> at bottom of
http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/images/selects2.jpg
has flow:h-flow and varying number of columns (depends on the
width of the select)

> -moz-box-orient

It is a half of solution or even less as far as I can see.
Probably I cannot find clear definition of it?

And probably this
http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/flow.whtm
will help to understand better what I mean.

Best regards,

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com