Re: Tabs and the CSS3 Basic User Interface Module

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:14:51 -0500
  Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net> wrote:

>value called "tab". This could be very useful for making
>lists look and behave like native tabs, but there's
>something I don't understand. Tabs are almost always used
>in a group context, yet there is no "tab-group" property
>value. Is there a specific reason for this? It would seem
>to me that a "tab-group" value would make it easy to
>create a tab group with a simple unordered list...
>
>| ul.tabgroup { appearance: tab-group }
>| ul.tabgroup il { appearance: tab }
>
>....Or perhaps a <div> and some hyperlinks...
>
>| div.tabgroup { appearance: tab-group }
>| div.tabgroup a { appearance: tab }
>
>    Then again, if I understand correctly, |appearance|
>doesn't affect
>the |display| property. Should this require "tab" and
>"tab-group" values for |display|?

See for reference, the WhatWG concept of "Tabs" as it
stands for now (The document is ever changing)

http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#section1

Also something by Fantasai when "dared" by Ian to write a
current example of "Tab" display capability if it was to
be implemented in some way. (Requires JS and good CSS
support iirc)

http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/tabs

I am far from an authority on this, just thought it would
help everyone involved.

~Justin Wood (Callek)