Re: [WF2] Readonly and default pseudoclass matching

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> I have a question about the description of :read-only in WF2.  The description
> says:
>
>   :read-only
>     Matches form control elements that have the readonly attribute set, and to
>     which the readonly attribute applies. (For instance, radio buttons will
>     never match this, regardless of the value of the attribute.)
>
> It's not clear to me whether this restricts :read-only to _only_ apply
> to those form controls.  Per my reading of CSS3 UI, for example,
> :read-only should match a random fieldset (since the fieldset itself is
> not editable in any way).  The text in WF2 could be interpreted this way
> if one assumes that the whole of section 8.2 only applies to "form
> controls" (that is, input, output, select, textarea and button), but
> it's not completely clear what the spec is intending here.

The intention in WF2 (the text has now been revised to be clearer on this)
is that it only defines things as far as form-related stuff goes; it
doesn't attempt to define, e.g., the interaction of CSS3 UI and the <p>
element or the contentEditable="" attribute.

> Further, it would make sense to me if a disabled form control matched
> :readonly (since it _is_ readonly; it doesn't so much matter how it got
> there, imo).  So for example a disabled radio button would match
> readonly...

That doesn't seem very useful. I think the two being orthogonal is more
useful for authors.

> I also have a question about :default.  Again, CSS3 UI makes it pretty
> clear that :default should match appropriate radio buttons, checkboxes,
> and options, but WF2 says it only matches the default submit button.  I
> feel that this contradiction should be somewhat clarified (probably by
> stating that :default must match said submit button and may match other
> things as well, per CSS3 UI).

Fixed.

Thanks,