Re: [CSS21] Nested Counters and Scope

On Friday 22 July 2005 19:07, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Friday 2005-07-22 10:58 +0100, Geoff Soutter wrote:
> > >
> > > p { counter-reset: mycounter 1 mycounter 2 mycounter; }
> > >
> > > That has three counter-resets on the same element for the same counter;
> > > the scope of the reset to 1 does not include nodes that are in the
> > > scope of the reset to 2; the scope of the reset to 2 does not include
> > > nodes that are in the scope of the reset to 0.
> >
> > OK, I think I understand what the spec means re later counter resets.
> >
> > I am not exactly an expert on this subject, but it seems to me redundant
> > to defining scopes for all the references to the same counter within a
> > single counter-reset when only the last one has an external effect.
> >
> > Would it not be better to wield Occam's Razor on the earlier ones?
>
> Why have a separate rule when the same rule that applies to
> counter-resets on siblings works too?  (Also note that for
> counter-increment, the two rules are different, and this keeps
> counter-reset and counter-increment consistent.)

Sorry to rant, but I have to ask:

Why have rules that a redundant and pointless?

It would make sense if counter-reset and counter-increment properties was
additive, but they cascade like all other properties, which means that the
only way to do two resets on the element is to declare them both at the same
time: {counter-reset: dummy 0 dummy 1}. Being able to do that is just
pointless. Having to waste time defining the behaviour of pointless
declarations is even more pointless.

`Allan