Re: [CSS3 Color] Percentages in Alpha Value etc.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Mikko Rantalainen wrote:

> > No, inconsistent. I assume the WG did not include this, because of
> > typos: #FFF and #FFFFFF are easily dinstinguished and two, four, five
> > or seven digits are always typos that yield no color, but with #FFFF
> > (and #FFFFFFFF) possible, the short forms (three or four digits) could
> > be typos of each other. Five and seven digits staid always being
> > typos, though.
>
> If this is really the reason to omit colors #1234 and #12345678 then something
> has gone really wrong with the WG.

I don't think #RRGGBBAA was ever actually considered by the working group.
Most decisions are left up to the spec's editor, in part to avoid the
"design by committee" syndrome that so many specifications suffer from. In
this case the editor was Tantek; Tantek, do you remember if you thought
about #RGBA?