Re: [CSS3 Color] Percentages in Alpha Value etc.

Laurens Holst wrote:

> Christoph Päper wrote:
>
>> Although it should have happened a while ago, if the expected
>> behavior is not (re)defined now, it never can.
>

> I think so too. This should be ‘fixed’ before it is widely implemented...

Fix it now and fix it for good!

>> No, inconsistent. I assume the WG did not include this, because of
>> typos: #FFF and #FFFFFF are easily dinstinguished and two, four, five
>> or seven digits are always typos that yield no color, but with #FFFF
>> (and #FFFFFFFF) possible, the short forms (three or four digits)
>> could be typos of each other. Five and seven digits staid always
>> being typos, though.
>

> If that is the case, I don’t find that a very convincing reason :).

As a webmaster I see no problems with #FFFF and #FFFFFFFF as typos in
colors are spotted nearly in an instant and two, five or seven are still
always typos that yield hopefully no color ;)

>> The way it is now, is just stupid.
>

> Yeah...

As a Webmaster and artist I can say only "not good" if GIMP, Photoshop
and Blender use HSV and CSS3 uses HSL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSI_color_space

*RGB*  *HSL*  *HSV*  *Result*
(1, 0, 0)  (0°, 1, 0.5)  (0°, 1, 1)
(0.5, 1, 0.5)  (120°, 0.5, 0.75)  (120°, 0.5, 1)
(0, 0, 0.5)  (240°, 0.5, 0.25)  (240°, 1, 0.5)

To me HSL looks like the lest intuitive of them all by this numbers.

For Webmasters it is good if we just can enter the colors in the form we
get them from the graphicdesigner so Photoshop is the defacto standard.

This leves us with:

RGB
RGBA
HSV
HSVA
L*a*b (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lab_color_space)
L*a*bA
CMYK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK)
CMYKA

Usefull units:

Alpha   Hex; integer; %; float
RGB   Hex; integer; %; float
HSV   ° and %
L*a*b   signed integer
CMYK   %

Some problems with colors or is RGB sRGB or Adobe RGB:
http://bj.canon.co.jp/english/photoretouch/reference/setup/setup02.html

Some input about color names:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_name

Please no X11 color names!!!

Use some thing like RAL or the like as this is used in the color industry!
http://www.ral.de/farben/en/

I hope this was of some help ;)

Dominik (Slalomsk8er) Riva