Re: [CSS21] Features at risk: quote in CSS or Q in HTML

Le 05-07-13 à 15:46, Ian Hickson a écrit :
> I understand what you're saying, but I don't understand what you
> want us
> (the CSSWG) to do. The feature, if it isn't implemented yet remains
> in the
> spec, will prevent us from leaving CR. Thus, we are saying that if it
> isn't implemented, we'll remove it so that we can exit CR.

Q is unlikely to be implemented in browsers.

What the author can do?

     1. Use <q>« something here »</q>
         Pb: Browsers usually do "" for the element q so it will give
something
         -> "« something here »"

     2. Use CSS to control the rendering of q with quote

If 2. is not implemented, we are in the case that we have now. quote
is dropped from CSS 2.1. ok.

     "" for quotes most of the time.

I then propose to coordinate with the HTML WG to "fix" HTML 4.01 and
ask browser vendors to not implement anymore the "" for q and leave
freedom to the authors. It will be a kind of pragmatic solution.

     I'm just asking for coordination ;)

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***