Re: Server and Client Capabilities (Where Info. Should Be Located)

Orion Adrian wrote:

>But this only happens when we move the primary layout mechanism to the
>device, make it semantic in nature and not content-based in nature and
>finally make it content.
>
>Each region of the layout would specify which types of content it
>allows (e.g. class), not which content it contains (i.e. src). This is
>where XFrames fails.
>
>Then we can see about moving formatting too.

I have replied multiple times to this already, with the response that
XHTML 2.0 *does this* by means of its role attribute [1]. Semantics are
not the domain of CSS, but of the underlying language such as XHTML 2.0.

In a previous message you said:

>2) No new property should be used to hide or modify content in such a
>way that it's non-existence should fundamentally change the meaning of
>the styled document.

Here, too, things that change the meaning of the styled document should
be expressed in the markup for the document, and not in CSS. So your
‘guideline’ doesn’t really makse sense, because the situation that you
sketch (new -or old, why make a distinction?- properties fundamentally
changing the meaning) shouldn’t arise in the first place.

If HTML adds an <invisible> element (assuming for a moment that it
actually expresses something semantic), it is the task of the user
agent, if it does not support CSS, to still render it appropriately.
That is why Lynx works, even though it doesn’t understand CSS.

Anyways, now you’re really starting to repeat yourself. I’ve heard this
already. XFrames may be insufficient, but if it is, XFrames should be
changed. This is outside the domain of CSS. So you’re writing this to
the wrong list.

~Grauw

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-role.html#col_Role