Re: [CSS21] Versioning of CSS

CSS 2.1 _is_ CSS2. That is the line WG members/authors have been
taking. As such, I believe that CSS2.1 is supposed not to cause any of
the difficult conflicts that your generalisation implies.

The properties which have been dropped are, I believe, mostly
unimplemented. I'm sure there are some which have made it into some
fringe implementation, but on the whole, anything removed shouldn't
damage the spec or cause any conflicts. There is also no problem with
an implementation supporting an old CSS2 property that is no-longer
specified, it is simply nolonger required for CSS Level 2 conformance.

If you've got specific cases where CSS2.1 conflicting with CSS2 could
be a real problem, I'd suggest you provide information about those
individual cases so they can be addressed. I have no idea how the WG
intends to resolve such conflicts, but my understanding is that there
probably shouldn't be any.

--
http://ben-ward.co.uk