Re: Unitless dimensions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip TAYLOR" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 10:28 AM
Subject: Unitless dimensions

> There was a very informative message on this (or a related) list
> not too long ago describing what the author referred to (I think)
> as a "little-known feature" of CSS whereby unitless dimensions
> (possibly in certain contexts) behaved in a useful but generally
> little-understood way.  I've tried to track this behaviour down,
> but with no success.  If the original poster, or someone familiar
> with this area of CSS, could either clarify or point me at
> the relevant spec., I'd be most grateful.
>
> Philip Taylor

I think that you are speaking about %% units [1] which
are may be treated "Unitless dimensions" or "relative units" as they
are just weights of free (available) space.

Such weights are determining final dimensions
of elements proportionally to their values.

%% or 'relative units' or 'free space units' are prototyped from
multi-length units (relative length units) described in HTML [2]
and you are right - their value is underestimated.and little-understood
e.g. no one popular UA has not implemented them, afaik.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com

[1] http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/fspu.whtm
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-length