Re: FAQ about reasons behind CSS

Laurens Holst wrote:
> That is absolute and utter nonsense! Colspan and rowspan are meant to
> reduce repetition, to say that a certain table cell applies to more than
> one row or columns. They are in no way presentational.
>
> As an example, look at: http://map.tni.nl/resources/msxsystemvars.php#USRTAB
> Or the third table at:
> http://map.tni.nl/resources/msx_io_ports.php#switch_io

I disagree. Both examples you provided would be perfectly
understandable if the rowspan were removed and missing cells were
filled with the repetation of cell data.

I consider colspan and rowspan as premature optimization. If you're
afraid of extra bytes to transfer, just apply compression. Reduntant
strings can be easily compressed. OTOH, if you're afraid that author
is required to type more characters, then perhaps we should remove
all those long closing tags, too? Any closing tag could be easily
replaced with </> because it's clear in XHTML anyway which starting
tag it should be matched with...

--
Mikko