Re: CSS is doomed (10 years per version ?!?)

On 7/4/05, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
> Orion Adrian wrote:
> > Versioning will happen or CSS will die. That's my prediction.
>
> Considering that versioning has been discussed and rejected many times
> on this list; and the fact that CSS was designed to be, and is being
> very carefully designed to remain, both forwards and backwards
> compatible, it is extremely unlikely that any form of versioning will be
> introduced.  To do so would either completely break backwards
> compatibility, have no benefit whatsoever, or any other reason that has
> been discussed many times before on this list.

Versioning doesn't break backwards compatability. It does break
forward compatability which I say is a good thing since forward
compatability was a pretty silly concept.

In forward compatability, since only certain properties will succeed,
the end result of the document may simply be unreadable. Forwards
compatability is nice for developers playing with betas, but that
tends to be it.

I've never seen an algorithm that worked with a random selection of
it's functions present. Systems only work as a complete, well, system.

Orion Adrian