Re: The Progress of CSS

Adam Kuehn wrote:

> I am skeptical, but I hope you are correct.  I just don't see CSS3
> exiting WD status for a very, very long time.  Just as one example, the
> CSS3 Fonts Module shows a target date for CR as Jan. '05, and release as
> a Rec sometime in '05.  Yet, it isn't in CR now, and has been in WD
> status for nearly 3 years.  Does anyone seriously think it is going to
> be completed in six months or less?
>
> And that's one of the simpler modules.

The Fonts module has no editor at the moment, so, no, it's not going
anywhere anytime soon. Modules like Selectors and even CSS3 Multi-Col,
are more likely to move ahead at a measurable pace.

The WG resources are /limited/. The only person who works full-time on
W3C stuff is Bert Bos: everyone else has a full-time occupation (or more
than that) in addition to WG responsibilities.

There are three tasks holding specs back:
   - writing specs (i.e. getting to CR)
   - writing conformance test suites
   - writing two interoperable implementations

As more specs hit CR, the last two will become more critical to moving
towards REC status. They are also the two tasks that don't require a lot
of /WG/ resources, just a lot of resources from *somewhere*. Meaning
/you/ can help!

If moving from CR to REC is important to you, help us write the
conformance test cases necessary to do so. The test-suite-writing
effort is open to all, and we encourage contributions.

Or, if you've the inclination, help us get two interoperable
implementations. Opera and MSIE can't take code contributions, but
open-source implementations like Mozilla can.

~fantasai