Re: FAQ about reasons behind CSS

Orion Adrian wrote:

>Seriously why are they necessary? This is a problem created by
>non-semantic tables, not by actual need. HTML tables are still
>presentational and therefore this need for nth-last-of-child() is
>because HTML tables are presentational. Get them to fix it, leave CSS
>alone.

I don’t know if :nth-last-child() is aimed at HTML tables??? I don’t see
how, what makes you think so?

Given that the selectors are CSS3 and it will still take a one or two
years (with luck) before CSS3 Selectors is broadly implemented
(:nth-child is implemented by very few browsers right now, excluding IE,
Mozilla and Opera), I sincerely doubt those selectors were meant to
solve anything having to do with HTML.

I also can’t really think of a good use-case for :nth-last-child(), not
for use with tables either. :nth-child() is a different matter of
course, that is particularly useful for tables and lists (among other
things).

Finally, I wonder what is so presentational about HTML tables? They look
fine to me, for tabular data.

~Grauw