Re: CSS width property

Timo Frenay wrote:
> I am new to this list and I am desperate for an answer to my question.
> Ideally, setting the width, margin-left and margin-right properties on a
> block-level element to auto would create a centered box that sizes to
> its contents. Instead, all browsers that I know of default the width to
> 100% if it is not set explicitly, and only tables and floating elements
> size to their contents. Floating has its own problems though, and
> {display: table} doesn't work in MSIE/Win. Is there any reliable way to
> make an element size to its contents without resorting to floating?
> Thanks in advance.

This list is no helpdesk, but the issue you are describing is rather
complex. Making "an element size to its contents" is not really
possible, as there are a great deal of factors which determine the width
of an element. For example, would "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" on one
line or "Lorem ipsum" and "dolor sit amet" on two lines be correct?

I suggest trying to use relative widths, specifying the left and right
margins as well as the width in percentages.

.max

--
Max Romantschuk
http://max.nma.fi/