Re: Marking style properties as "required" + groups of styles

David Woolley wrote:
>>Hi there, I've got something for the CSS3 'ideas' pile.
>
> Variations on this get proposed every two or three months.  The
> new feature in yours is the !required, but that isn't really needed
> if you have an all or nothing grouping, and isn't particularly useful
> without that grouping.
>
> I don't know why it hasn't been accepted, although a possible reason is
> that it is unrealistic to expect browser developers to make conservative
> claims of compliance and fixing such claims made in error are likely
> to get very low priorities in the change control systems of commercial
> browser developers.  Liberal interpretation of specification compliance
> is second nature to marketing departments.

For the particular proposal here, that wouldn't be a problem: you can define
it such that if the browser will not parse and store the value in the cascade,
then it must ignore all other declarations in the same !required group.
Accepting the value into the cascade implies that the UA understands and can
handle the value, even if support is not perfectly spec-compliant by Hixie's
standards. This level of compliance claim already exists; the proposal merely
hooks into it. And it does so in a way that's technically implementable at
parse time; several of the other proposals require changes in the cascade.

~fantasai