Re: Supporting propriety "Extensions"

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>> For those two cases it doesn't matter if the units are obscure (e.g.
>> "_moz_ch" would be perfectly find for an experimental implementation of
>> the proposed "ch" unit).
>
> I understand "how" but do not understand "why"...
> What is the purpose of introducing namespaces using such strange method
> and notation?

I think Anne explained the need for it well enough:
"This addresses the future, not now. So that vendor extensions are not
going to conflict with new W3C CSS specifications."
So we have established that there needs to be *some* kind of mechanism.
Given that need, the CSS group came up with a convention of prefixing
vendor-specific properties with -vendor-. I do not see what is so
strange about the notation.

If you have a better suggestion, which works (in a backwards compatible
way), please :). Complaining is always easier than thinking towards
solutions.

Personally, given that there currently is an established method however,
I do not think it would be worth the effort to change it. I don't even
see a reason to. The method seems to work well enough, and is used by a
number of implementations. I understand it is a little troublesome for
units, but heh, then don't prefix the units and just bet on it not
conflicting with any future standard.

~Grauw