Re: Presentation of empty elements (was: Clarification requested; Three changes/additions to XHTML 2)

David Woolley wrote:

> In that case they [*] are one or both of:
>
> 1) using the wrong technology - in my view the best current compromise
>    between pixel perfection and accessibility/machine indexablity is
>    properly tagged PDF, although SVG/CSS will is the best W3C solution -
>    HTML/CSS is, by design, subject to both user and browser style sheets -
>    the latter optimising for the rendering technology actually in use -
>    and shouldn't be used where pixel perfection is important.
>
> 2) have failed to move out of the first part of the 20th century and realise
>    that modern media are not print image media.

I have to say, I think the latter half of that response is
excessively harsh (particularly considering the very
moderate tone of the message to which it is a reply) as
well as being a sweeping generalisation which fails on two
counts : it needs "some" to replace "they" [*], and needs
a second "some" to qualify "modern media".

Philip Taylor
--------
[*] content providers (such as book publishers)