Re: [css21] multiple ID attributes with the same value

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>> Both elements have the ID "xyz", so both should match "#xyz".
>
> Perhaps the specification should state that?

"CSS ID selectors match an element instance based on its identifier."

The elements both have the identifier "xyz", so they both match "#xyz". I
don't understand the problem.

> Personally I still think it might make sense to make it invalid in CSS,
> although I see that it would have not much impact since most browsers
> already support it.

It can't be invalid in CSS since it is conceivable that CSS will be
applied to a language where IDs aren't globally unique. (XBL shadow trees
come to mind.)