Re: styling xml with css - copying xml attribute values into CSS attribute values

On 12/17/05, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > However, he is right in that you can apply semantic behavior through
> > CSS, and not just a look. There is absolutely nothing special about
>
> By definition you cannot.

It seems to me that when talking about future versions of CSS, we may
be able to change these definitions.

> > XHTML that couldn't be applied through the matching mechanism that CSS
> > uses.
> You can define a language that associates behaviours or even semantics
> (like the tagged PDF model where the primary tree is presentational) with
> a parse tree, that uses the CSS selector syntax, but it would not be CSS,
> and should not be interleaved with CSS rules.

I never said the rules should be interleaved. I actually made a point
to say that I specifically didn't mix them. What I'm saying is that
the selectors mechanism is something that would be very useful just
beyond the styling layer. Because it is useful for things besides
styling, it may be useful to take it out and make it a generic part of
the web.

--

Orion Adrian