Re: Comments in CSS

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 17:26, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:11:37 +0100, Manuel Strehl
>
> <manuel.strehl@stud.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
> > So, if you'd like to test the CSS without, say, prop2 (cause you'd
> > like to see what it's like, when the UA overrides your "color"
> > property...), it would be really fine, if you could comment it out
> > by just typing "//" rather than wrap it in "/*"..."*/":
> >
> > selector {
> >   property1;
> >   //property2;        much faster than /*property2*/
> >   property3;
> > }
>
> How about x-property2;? That would cause the rule to be dropped. Not
> the same semantics, but you keep the effect. (I mostly just use x
> without all the dashes, but this seems more appropriate.)

I do the same as Anne.

It is not possible to introduce "//" as a comment delimiter without
changing the core grammar of CSS. CSS says that "//" consists of two
tokens "/". Although we currently only have expressions with a single
"/", it is possible to add some later that use "//".

Back when the syntax of CSS was developed, it wasn't felt necessary to
use "//" for comments, nor "#" for that matter. The latter was more
useful for ID selectors and we thought the former would someday be used
as a combinator (I forget whether it became '+', '>' or '~'). And
anyway, we believed it was enough to have "/*...*/" comments plus the
fact that incorrect properties/rules are ignored.

Bert