Re: [CSS21] Unclear applicability to XML

Chris Lilley schreef:
> IH>  as it is the
> IH> complete implementations that will help us exit CR. (It doesn't really
> IH> matter if we have interoperability on one half of the spec in one set of
> IH> UAs and another half of the spec in another set of UAs -- that would be
> IH> pretty worthless for Web authors!)
>
> Certainly. Although, if the two sets of UAs were disjoint then having
> two specifications, each of which defined the half that a set of UAs
> used, would be of value.

Right, (one of) the reason(s) for the request for two interoperable full
implementations is to prove that a feature is ‘implementable’. If an
implementation only uses a subset of CSS (e.g. SVG), then it still
proves that those features in particular can be implemented interoperably...

With regard to @font-face however, because CSS 2.1 is not modularised,
subsets are kind of awkward to handle, and thus the specification is
aimed at structured documents only. And within that scope, @font-face
was not implemented (consistently), so it was taken out?

Ian Hickson wrote:
> The abstract currently says "CSS 2.1 is a style sheet language that allows
> authors and users to attach style (e.g., fonts and spacing) to structured
> documents (e.g., HTML documents and XML applications)", is this not clear
> enough? It seems clear to me from this that images (SVG) and chemical data
> (CML) are out of scope.

So, SVG and CML implementations are out of scope for CSS 2.1. But not
out of CSS3 its scope, right?

There was much ruckus about SVG 1.2, that it conflicted with the CSS
specification or didn’t do things right - I don’t know what exactly. If
SVG is considered to be outside CSS3’s scope as well, I’d say those
complaints would have been incorrect. If SVG is not in the scope of CSS,
  why does SVG have CSS support at all?

If SVG *is* in CSS3 its scope however, I’d say that would call for a
module for the ‘stroke’ and other CSS properties used in SVG, and a
profile which contains all the CSS that applies to SVG and related
technologies (font module, ‘drawing’ module, etc).

Ah well, just some random thoughts.

~Grauw