Re: [CSS21] Lack of version control for content

Christian Roth schreef:
> The only fear I have is that it will not change much for the situation:
> Noone will stop you from modifying the Schema to your liking; so you
> just reference your proprietary one  in your CSS, and we have the same
> interoperability problems we have now when throwing this "valid" CSS at
> some implementation.
>
> Having standardized Schemas to be referenced, however, is nothing else
> than having just a specific version declaration in the CSS (PUBLIC id in
> DTD speak).

I think a nice example of a ‘proprietary’ schema which is aimed at the
real-world support of CSS is Dreamweaver’s... When editing CSS, you can
specify which browsers versions you want you stylesheet to work in, and
Dreamweaver will validate the CSS on the fly and tell you which
properties and selectors are not compatible.

Of course, in practice this doesn’t exactly work a 100%, i.e. it marks
properties as ‘invalid’ while you fully intend to write them, for
several reasons. For one this schema is always a bit behind on the
current browser situation, e.g. Dreamweaver 8 will be out soon, will
they still have time to make schemas for IE7 and Firefox 1.5? Another
thing is that when writing CSS, you often use something that doesn’t
work in all browsers and give a fallback to the others (or a hack based
on quirky behaviour which achieves the same).

~Grauw