Re: [CSS21] Additional Note

On 8/25/05, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:

> Craig Northway:
> > Section 5.8.3
> >
> > Note: If an element has multiple class attributes, their values must be
> > concatenated with spaces between the values before searching for the class.
> >
> > Please reconsider this note because multiple attributes of the same name
> > are not allowed in either XML or SGML.
>
> Who said CSS was limited to XML and SGML? It might be in current
> practice, but there is no need to artificially restrict it to that.

Realistically it is. While ideally one might wish to use it for many
other languages, it makes many assumptions about the existence of
certain constructs like attributes, tree structures, singlular
parents, and that there are parent-child relationships.

While the rest of CSS would very much work on many languages,
selectors where essentially hard-coded for SMGL/XML. Selectors aren't
interchangable (i.e. I can't replace my language specific selectors
for the standard CSS set). This applies to pseudo-classes and
pseduo-elements as well.

That being said, I'd rather incorporate interchangable selectors
rather than limit it to XML/SGML.

--

Orion Adrian