Re: Gradients in CSS3?

Maniac schreef:
>> Eh? Surely everybody knows that if 0 degrees is top-bottom then 90
>> degrees is right-left? And that 45 is something inbetween?
>
> Yes. But 45 is not what you need to specify gradient for a non-sqaure
> rectangle. Keywords 'ul-br' and 'bl-ur' mean straight line from corner
> to corner, no matter how many degrees is this for a given rectangle.
> They don't mean just 45 or -45.

Okay, I see your point :).

In that case, I prefer to just limit the gradients to top-bottom and
left-right, and not do angles at all. As said, that will probably
account for 99% of the cases that people would use it anyway.

>> - Has using keywords in a ‘function’ got precedent? It seems odd.
>
> Then don't make it function, it doesn't matter. Let's make it like this:
>
> background-gradient-colors:blue white;
> background-gradient-direction:ul-br;
>
> And use it in a shorthand:
>
> gradient:blue white ul-br;

The advantage of having it as a function is that it doesn’t just apply
to backgrounds, but to borders and colors as well.

>> Frankly, either is fine with me.
>
> Then why choose? Let's specify gradient-direction both in helpful
> keywords and flexible degrees. Like 'background-position' currently does.

Yeah, that’s true, that’s possible as well.

There’s one problem with all this by the way: in most cases, it isn’t
incrementally renderable.

~Grauw