Background-size & stretching RE: [css3-background] A few points about the current module

> From: On Behalf Of Kelly Miller
> To: www-style@w3.org
>
> Background-size & stretching
>
>     I believe that background-stretch would be a better name for this
> property, if for no other reason than it's more telling of the property's
> true effect on background images.

I recently fed back a similar request.

Naming the property Background-size confuses the issue and leads to
unintuitive behaviour.
If I want a background image to stretch to fill the area I would not expect
to write "background-size: 100%". Logically to me 100% would imply that the
background image size should be its real size and original aspect ratio.
Whereas "background-size: auto" implies to my the image will automatically
stretch to fill the available area?

So in my opinion the property should as you asked be renamed
background-stretch with values.

Rowan Lewis said:
On that note, I like Paul Duncan's 'background-stretch' implementation but
it would be better to allow something more like this:

None (the default)
	no stretch
Auto
	Stretches x and y to fill the area
Length XY | Length XY
	A specific size.
Percentage XY | Percentage X Percentage Y -
	The percentage is relative to the width or height of the area given
by 'background-origin'.
Only the value none would ever have to apply to both X and Y, you should
also be able to use 'auto' for either X or Y.

Regards
Paul Duncan.