Re: css2.1 question

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Beton, Richard wrote:

> I don't know whether this is the correct list for this question, so
> please forgive me if it isn't.
>
> My question concerns the CSS2.1 Candidate Recommendation
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/) and specifically Conventions
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/about.html#q4).
>
> Why does it say "Document language element names are in uppercase
> letters." ?

It is merely a typographical convention, it does not affect
implementations or authoring requirements.

> Surely for XHTML the document language element names /must/ be in
> lowercase.  Elsewhere in the document, lowercase is used for both HTML
> and XHTML (e.g. http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/intro.html#q1)

The document language element names in that section appear in uppercase to
me. Am I missing something? If you are referring to the "h1" in the
stylesheet, that is not part of a document, it is part of a stylesheet,
and hence has different typographical conventions.

> In the section on case (http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6), it
> says "Note in particular that element names are case-insensitive in
> HTML, but case-sensitive in XML."

This is correct.

> This suggests to me that the Conventions section is misleading and
> should be changed, especially because XHTML and SVG use lowercase
> element names.  Do you agree?

I believe that currently none of the examples are XHTML or SVG, thus
sidestepping the issue.