Re: "Replacedness" of form-type elements

On 26 Apr 2005 at 17:14, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Staffan Måhlén wrote:
> > How are form type elements supposed to be handled in CSS 2.1?
>
> CSS2.1 does not define which properties apply to form controls and frames,
> or how CSS can be used to style them. User agents may apply CSS properties
> to these elements. Authors are recommended to treat such support as
> experimental. A future level of CSS may specify this further.

I would very much appreciate if you could elaborate a bit on the
intentions here? CSS 2.1 is obviously a great success for the WG. In
this particular case however, it seems to to remove something rather
fundamental that was defined and at least reasonably interoperably
implemented.

My orginal intentions with the question was otherwise more how this
type of element interacts with the inline model. Two UAs from three
tested seem to have a particular way of handling form-type elements
baselines and/or vertical-align, and their interpretation often makes
sense but their implementations seem to cause problems for the inline
model. Are there any UAs that implement 'inline-block' to this level
of detail (assuming that is a probable future solution)?

 /Staffan