Re: [CSS3] xml namespace

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> > What's the use case? [for binding 'xml' to the XML namespace
> > automatically] This seems like it would complicate the spec and the
> > implementations, as well as make full tutorials slightly more
> > complicated, without any real benefit to the end user. When would you
> > ever use this namespace in CSS?
>
> I have no idea

I am very reluctant for us to add features without good use cases,
especially when they make things more complicated.

> if namespaces are useful in selectors, then I need this namespace if I
> ever want to select the attributes in the xml namespace.

Should you ever want to do that, you can bind the namespace manually. I
can't see any likely use case for using the XML namespace in selectors,
though, personally.

I could see an argument for prebinding the 'html' prefix, since that would
be very commonly used, although I don't think even that would outweigh the
resulting possible confusion.